Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Well, we had a good christmas here at The Allen's. We decorated cookies and had a blast! Aaron & Jehu made their traditional fudge, and it turned out incredibly well this year, so yay!


We veered from our traditional christmas eve hot pot meal, and had a really delicious Italian meal instead. We were sad to say goodbye to the tradition (as we are all about tradition), but realized that it was a small sacrifice for family. In the end, it was a wonderful night full of family and fun! As we headed home, we realized that our very favorite part of hot pot is the whole experience of it - surrounded by family, and THAT was still there! So, our new tradition is about changing it up every year. Next year is our responsibility and I am thinking Greek!

The kids had a little christmas program this year at our church where they sang a few songs and recited the christmas story. It was so much fun & adorable. Poor Noah had it all memorized, and then chickened out at the last minute. He sat next to me & sang every word of every song. Stinker! Oh well, there's always next year. :-)


Then after a few very relaxing days, we prepared for our, now annual, New Years Eve Party. All the kids hang on till midnight & often beyond. We all eat & drink & talk the night away! It is a blast! This year had the odd (yet fun) addition of watching old church videos...including one from exactly 10 years ago. I had mixed emotions watching it. In part, it was hilarious watching so many of our friends so baby faced, and hearing all of the behind the scenes stories. I still can't believe how fast 10 years has gone by! In part, it was sad to see some people who have jumped off the deep end & left their marriages and children for drugs, alcohol & prison. Okay, just one or two people, but still it was so sad. I am grateful for the last 10 years, but I am really hoping for a less dramatic next 10 years :-) I am pretty sure they will be.

A recap of the last 10 years:

Aaron & I got married in August of 2000. Yay!

I became pregnant with Jehu shortly thereafter (about 4 months).

Jehu is born and amazing! We love being parents!

Aaron went through school - with a lot of hard work from the both of us, a lot of tears, a lot of everything, really.

Our church fell apart, and we went through emotional hell. This happened over about 3 years. This effected our marriage, all of our friendships, our relationships with God and pretty much our whole lives. We are stronger people, are stronger in our marriage & know who we are (and who God is) without a shadow of a doubt because of it, but it was hell.

We moved to Spokane from Othello! Hallelujah! I can breathe again...finally!!

Aaron graduated from college with his teaching degree! Yay us! I am SO proud to say that we made it!

We bought our home in Spokane!

Rozalyn is born! We have a beautiful baby girl, and I become a stay at home mom with two kids at home. :-)

3 months later - surprise, I'm pregnant again! What the hell?? Yep, I was preggers & I found out in an IKEA in Minneapolis, of all places! We got a lot of jokes about needing to get cable or a TV over the next few months. It was a bit of a blur because of the constant throwing up all 9 months.

Noah was born in January! Our third and final child has arrived happy and healthy!

Aaron miraculously gets a continuing contract as a teacher at the Junior High he'd been working at for 2 years. We were SO thrilled!

Aaron decides to get his Master's degree. A lot more work and time goes by for another 2 years, but he finally finishes & has his Master's degree! Yay! Now, I put my foot down & declare that we need a BREAK from school! And, that I will be the next one to go to school (which will not be for a few years).

My parents got divorced. It was horrible all around. Horrible & traumatic circumstances. It sucked, and still does. That's all I'm really going to say.

I started exercising to deal with all the stress of said situation, and for overall health. It feels good to make time for ME (even if it is just exercise).

In light of said exercise, I have lost 55 lbs and Aaron has lost 65 lbs and we are thrilled.

We visit Disneyland for the very first time as a family (and mine & the kids very first time EVER)! It was magical & better than I ever could have imagined! I am a believer in the Magic of Disneyland!

So, we end the last decade with a strong & happy marriage, 3 incredible kids ages 8, 5 and almost 4 and a hope for an even brighter future!

What really blows my mind is that in 10 more years I will be 41 (ack!) and I will have an 18 year old, a 15 year old and a 14 year old (double ack!).

How about we just enjoy today, shall we?! That is much easier to imagine!


1 comment:

  1. Yes I'm so glad that you survived the decade. I agree that we should just enjoy today! :)

    ReplyDelete