Saturday, January 23, 2010

A few random thoughts and things...

1. If you have stumbled upon this blog & LIKE it - follow me! I've had a recent upswing in readers, and am loving it! Thank you!

2. Since my mom has been in Haiti, I have been in more consistent (& constant) contact with several of my extended family members as well as a few of my mom's good friends. They are all so worried about my mom, and want to know what's new. I think this is so sweet, so I will start by stating that. I love that everyone is worried about my mom's well being and want to know that she is safe.

Also, as much as I love that they care, why oh why do a few of them go from asking about my mom, to talking about their illnesses? I DON'T GET IT!

My grandma is the best at this. She really always has been. My grandmother is 85 years old. I am 31, so she is pretty young or at very least she is of a normal age to be a grandmother and great-grandmother. She has always acted very old. Even when she was still in her 50's, you'd have thought she was in her 70's because of how old she acted! There are people that are young at heart, and then there are the others and my grandmother is definitely in the 'others' category. I love her, but it's just true. :-)

This week, she has informed me all about her teeth, her bowels, her skin, her eating habits, and her abundant fears. Not only has she informed me about hers, but she then proceeded to ask me about MINE!! I kid you not, she asked me about my bowels! Okay grandma, I love you, but this is where I draw the line!

Lord, help me to never be like that!

Sadly, I had a similar conversation with my mother's friend as well, and she is in her 50's! Seriously?! Is there something about me that screams 'tell me about your poo' or something? I don't get it, and in case anyone would like clarification - please don't tell me about your poop or your bowels!

3. I watched Conan O'Brien's last Tonight Show. He is a class act! I loved what he said about not being cynical:

"To all the people watching, I can never thank you enough for your kindness to me and I'll think about it for the rest of my life. All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

Very wise. Conan, you will be missed!



No comments:

Post a Comment