Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Haiti

My mom is on a missions trip visiting an orphanage in Cap-Haitian Haiti. She's there to love on all the children & babies. She has been put in charge of an 18 month old child that is so malnourished that it wears newborn clothing. She said that he has finally smiled for the first time, just today. They are working with him to learn how to roll over as well. So hard. I told her I think her heart is just going to break for all of them in a wonderful way. I am so proud of her.

Just today we had a scare though. There was a huge earthquake in Haiti. It registered at 7.0 which by description is MAJOR. Thankfully, she wasn't located near the center of the earthquake! She is safe as are the rest of the people at the orphanage (workers & children). Phew! It registered as a 5.5 on the scale where she was located, which is still major but less dangerous than in Port-au-Prince.

The orphanage is called: Children of the Promise & their website is: childrenofthepromise.org

I urge you to check it out. I personally know the people that began this journey and they still run it to today. They are honest and wonderful people with such big hearts! They treat & care for abandoned, orphaned and very sick children. Right this moment there are 3 babies with AIDS, 3 babies with sickle cell anemia, a baby with a colostomy bag and a lot of abandoned babies on top of that!

One thing that volunteers can help do is construction and maintenance as well as working with babies one on one to help them work on growing developmentally. Most of them are far behind where they should be developmentally, when they first arrive.

To end this - I am so relieved that my mom is safe. My heart is stirred for this orphanage and I am planning on gathering items to send to them soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment