Monday, October 18, 2010

Letter to an Ex...

**I would like to preface this post by saying that I am happily married and have been for 10 years. This is just something I've felt a bit guilty about for years...so I thought there's no better time than now to apologize.


Dear David,

You were a really sweet guy. A great first boyfriend to have…kind, respectful, innocent. I’m sorry I hurt you. When I broke up with you, I told you it was because you were going to leave for college (in a year). It was crap (obviously) and I’m sorry.

The truth is – you were too clingy. I was 16 and wanted to have fun (which we did) but I wasn’t an insecure girl who wanted you to call her every day for no reason. I came to dread the daily phone call after school where you would just sit on the phone with nothing to say. It was weird. AND you got way too serious WAY too fast and I didn’t know how to navigate that or just ask you to slow down. Partly, because I was flattered that you wanted me to be your girlfriend. Looking back, I wish I would have been honest with you (nicely), because I think I probably hurt you more by coming up with BS reasons rather than just being honest (or you came up with your own reasons that were not true). I’m sorry. I was 16 and stupid. In summary: It wasn't you, It was me (okay...it was a little you).

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment