Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscar 2011 Wrap Up...


I am a little obsessed with the Academy Awards. I look forward to them every year. Most years we have a party for them. I print out ballots for all of us to fill out our own Oscar picks. I love the dresses and the whole show.

This year, we actually had dinner plans for a friend's birthday. I had a bit of a hard time deciding whether or not to go, but in the end - real people win out over something that can be DVR'd. (So grown up of me, no?!)

After our fun dinner out and lots of laughs, I finally got to watch my show...EEEEeeee!

So, I LOVED most of the dresses that Anne Hathaway wore...gorgeous!
Here are a few more fav's:

Hailee Steinfeld - she's 14 and talk about a perfect, age appropriate dress that is just lovely!

Natalie Portman - beautiful & preggers ta' boot!
Mila Kunis - GORGEOUS! Except, I was continuously holding my breath, afraid she was going to sneeze or turn too quickly & make one of her boobs pop out...maybe a little more fabric in the breastal area might have been helpful.

My review of the actual show is this...

I thought Anne Hathaway did a fine job. James Franco seemed totally aloof (high?) and was a total misstep as far as I'm concerned. Overall, the Academy was trying way TOO hard to young up the Oscars. It was the equivalent of Amy Poehler's mom character in 'Mean Girls' who's telling the high school girls "I'm not a regular mom. I'm a cool mom." Both the video & musical montages didn't quite fit...HELLO, it's the OSCARS not the MTV Movie awards!?!

The Oscars don't need to be dumbed down for a younger audience...it's supposed to celebrate the excellent movies of the year. The Oscars are classic Hollywood. We already have the MTV movie awards - and it's fun in a different way.

And the glaringly obvious differences between classic Hollywood greatness & James Franco was never so obvious as when people like Billy Crystal, Kirk Douglas & Tom Hanks were on the stage.

I LOVED that Inception got a few awards, and that Social Network was acknowledged as well. I adored the King's Speech, so YAY for them! I also love that Harry Potter got a few nominations even if they didn't win. I really liked the end of the whole show with the kid's choir that sang & the Oscar winners joining them on stage. What a great way to end it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment