Friday, November 5, 2010

My New Adventure

For the last few years, I have been considering what I would like to do next in life. You know, once the kids are all in school. I’m not really too interested in sitting around the house all day by myself, or cleaning my house everyday all day. I mean, I probably could clean it everyday all day, but who wants to live like that?!

Anyway, a couple of years ago I realized that Cosmetology could really be an amazing fit for me. It would be about a year of school. Eventually, I would have flexibility...flexibility to go on vacation when we want to and STILL be able to make money and book clients around my schedule. I would get to be social and not be chained to a desk all day. AND, I would have a trade…heck, something I could do from home if I wanted to (if/when I had the clientele).

Still, I have been thinking it wouldn’t be until Noah was in first grade, which is not for another year and a half.

However, I’ve been thinking more and more about the whole topic. I finally decided to just GO SEE the Paul Mitchell School – thinking that maybe it would help put some questions to rest.

It was really nerve-wracking getting ready for the tour. I’ve been really worried about being way older than the rest of the students. I mean, cosmetology school has rules like ‘you must be, at least, 17 years of age’. 17! I am almost double that (dear LORD!). Am I gonna be ‘with it’ enough? Cool enough? Or am I going to stick out like a sore thumb (me and my old lady grey-roots)?

Fast-forward a bit…it was AWESOME! I LOVED IT! The 2 gals that walked around with me were in their mid 30’s & mid 40’s, and they were both students! It was so encouraging! They talked all about how much of an advantage it was for them to have lived life before going to school, and how they have clients that come to them because they don’t have green hair. In the end, I was so excited! I actually felt as though there was a part of me that was being awakened that has been dormant in me for quite a while. It felt like a breath of fresh air in a part of me that I had kind of forgotten about.

So, I have decided that I am going to apply to cosmetology soon and if the school will work with my schedule, I will actually be starting school this summer. You see, they have both night school and day school options. And the gals I talked to said that sometimes people switch from day to night (or vice versa). Not all the time or anything, but the school has been known to work with people’s schedules. SO, in my application I am going to propose (with full disclosure) an idea: I’d like to start cosmetology school this summer going full time (day school) which is Tue – Sat from 9-4:30. Then in September switch to night school which is Mon – Thur from 5-10. I would stay in night school for the entire regular school year (til approx. mid-June). Then I would switch back to day school for the duration of my training. I think that I should be able to complete my training sometime in the fall of 2012 (which will easily be at least 6 months earlier than I would if I waited to start school in the summer of 2012).

I know that it is possible that the school will not want to work with me and my strange proposed schedule, but it’s worth a shot. Worst case scenario, I will just wait until my original start time of summer 2012. Either way, I am excited about the future. I know it will be a challenge too, but it will be worth it. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment