Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Has anyone noticed...

the increase of door to door salesmen, lately? Well, I HAVE and I am ready to punch the next one square in the face!

This is not without reason, mind you. A couple of weeks ago I had one guy claiming to work for a carpet cleaning service, who wanted to clean one area for free so we'd recommend him to friends. At the time, I was excited because my family room carpet was in great need of being cleaned, and what's better than FREE?

So, about 20 minutes later the man shows up...with other people & boxes. 20 minutes later...the man is putting together a kirby vacuum & carpet cleaner. This man was selling a friggin' vacuum! No ordinary vacuum, mind you, a $2500.00 vacuum!! Of course we could make payments of $25 or $50/ month payments if we wanted to (for the next 5 years). Two and a half hours later this man was still in my house! His entire sales pitch was to vacuum up dirt, and ask me 'how I could let my children live in this kind of filth', 'don't you care about your children & their health?' 'You must NOT care about your children', etc. After two hours, I started agreeing with him, 'I must not care.' 'If caring equals paying a bunch of money that I don't have...I guess I don't', etc. Once we passed the hour & a half point, I didn't really care what I had to say...I was gonna get my carpet cleaned! By the end, the guy realizes I'm not buying his crap, and he says 'well, if you're not gonna buy the vacuum, can you give me some of the dinner you made for your family?' I was so desperate to get this guy OUT OF MY HOUSE...I DID it! I made up a plate of food for this guy - just to get him out!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the best part of this story...while I am putting up with the guy that would never shut up & leave my house - my dad was sending suicide texts to me & my brothers. Yes, in the middle of all of this, I am running in & out of the room, so that I can deal with my verbally abusive & CRAZY father, my brothers who are freaking out, and my husband & myself!! It was truly a HELL of a night!

Seriously, the whole sales tactic of manipulating a person into buying the thing one is selling, makes me CRAZY! I had a home security system guy try to sell me security alarms & crap in the same way: 'you must not care about your children's safety', 'Are you just going to wait for something bad to happen before you protect yourself?'. I was LITERALLY answering 'YES' to all of his questions. 'You must not care about your children's safety' (yeah I guess I don't...seriously??) Thankfully, the guy gave up a lot quicker than the first guy.

I get that it's a tough economy, and you gotta do what you gotta do, but seriously - it'd be more effective just hitting your head against a wall!


2 comments:

  1. OMG! Nicole you are one amazing person. We had the rainbow guy out to our house last year because he said it would be an hour and that we had to do it in order to claim 2 nights stay in a hotel we had won at the fair. THREE HOURS LATER he left. That man was sooo stupid he read every line directly from his notebook. We were pisssed to find the hotels that were participating were only in Florida, Main and New Hampshire!
    I'm sorry you're dealing with such icky stuff with your family your Dad does sound crazy.
    I now refuse to open the door to anyone I don't know. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine. I'm with you - I think he deserved a punch in the face. Or better you should tell him that the dirt is good for the children - it provides important immunities with which you would be unwilling to part. Or just punch him - either way. :)

    ReplyDelete